How do I receive accommodations?
The following steps must be completed in order to receive services from the Accessibility Services Program:
- must be officially admitted and enrolled at Cowley College,
- contact the Accessibility Services Office to schedule an interview and intake with the Student Accessibility Coordinator and complete the Request for Service form,
- provide objective and appropriately documented evidence. Release of Information form may be used by student to request documentation from special education cooperatives, doctors, mental health professionals, etc,
- participate in the intake session and provide input regarding accommodation needs to the Student Accessibility Coordinator,
- participate in the development of an individualized plan of accommodations for each course. A new individualized plan must be completed prior to each semester,
- utilize the accommodations provided to enhance learning opportunities and inform the Student Accessibility Coordinator if accommodations need to be modified.
Possible accommodations available:
- Text in Alternate format
- Note takers
- Tape recording lectures
- Sign Language Interpreters (deaf or hard of hearing)
- Extended test time
- Alternate test environment
- Tests read to student
- Assistive technology (Premier Assistive Technology and Dragon Naturally Speaking software programs)
- Mobility guides
- Other accommodations that are reasonable and appropriate
Whether a student is mobility impaired, hearing impaired or sight impaired, Cowley College's main campus in Arkansas City and Academic Centers in Winfield and Mulvane are inclusive, friendly environments.
The college makes every effort to ensure that special needs students can benefit from a rich academic environment and enjoy diverse student activities.
The main campus is very easy to navigate. It is a small campus that has pathways throughout the campus that are designed to accommodate wheelchairs and other assistive devices. Ample handicapped parking and curb ramps ensure that commuting students have easy and close access to most buildings.
The multi-floor buildings have elevators or alternative ramp access. Bathrooms are handicapped accessible. Wheelchair seating in available in sports and entertainment areas.
Request For Service
It is important that students who are planning to request accommodations submit their documentation to the Accessibility Services Office as soon as possible. Services are gladly provided to qualified applicants on a first-come first-serve basis; however, we can not be held responsible to provide a service when the resource available is limited or no longer available. Though we shall make every attempt to provide qualified applicants with appropriate accommodations, as available, it is incumbent upon the student to apply for services as soon as possible.
Release of Information forms are available in the Accessibility Services Office or click here for a PDF copy.
- I understand that this form does not constitute an agreement for services.
- I understand that this form is merely an application which requests admittance to the program.
- I understand that I must contact the Accessibility Services Coordinator to schedule accommodations for course placement assessments and that this must be done prior to the scheduled assessment date.
- I understand that my disability documentation must be updated every three years. This may require re-evaluation at my own expense.
- I understand the Accessibility Services Coordinator may contact my instructors at any time regarding the accommodations and academic progress.
- I understand that I MUST submit a copy of my disability documentation to the Cowley College Accessibility Services Office before I can receive any accommodations.
- I understand that I MUST schedule an appointment with the Accessibility Services Coordinator to complete a Personalized Plan of Assistance and request my accommodations.