WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2024
Brown Center Wright Room
8:30 AM - 1:30 PM
The annual Math & Science Day is jointly sponsored by the Natural Science & Mathematics Department and Mu Alpha Sigma Chi. High school students showcase their knowledge of various science and math disciplines by competing in scholastic exams and highlight their critical thinking and creativity by participating in problem-based learning exercises. Winners can earn monetary prizes, graphing calculators, or tuition scholarships to attend Cowley College. The competition is a valuable opportunity to interact with peers, learn from each other's experiences, and potentially form friendships with like-minded individuals.
- Breakout Activity
- This is an interactive educational activity that challenges participants to solve puzzles and unlock clues to "break out" of a locked box or complete a specific task. This is a hands-on critical thinking teamwork activity that incorporates science and problem-solving.
- Students will perform a chemical analysis of selected materials.
- Ping-Pong Launcher
- Design, build and test a ping-pong ball launcher powered by a common household mousetrap (NOT A RAT TRAP) that will propel as many ping-pong balls as possible into a target.
- Puzzle Fest
- Entrants will receive math puzzles which they must solve by appropriately placing the pieces as quickly as possible.
- Write It-Build It
- One team member will view a constructed object and write a description of how to build it without using any pictures, diagrams, or symbols. The written description will then be given to their teammates who have not seen the object. Given a corresponding set of materials, the team members will then attempt to rebuild the object from the written description.