Medical Certification

Information and links in this module can help you if you are undecided about your college major or if you want to research your declared major further. Check out non-credit courses through Coursestorm:

Explore Your Career Options

Online career exploration programs, detailed occupational information, career assessments, and four year college transfer information are available.

The links on the left also provide information on interviewing, job search techniques, and building a successful resume.


Go to Focus 2 Career

FOCUS 2 is an online resource that combines self-assessment, career and major exploration, decision making and action planning. Students' assessment results are matched to career options and majors/programs offered at Cowley. FOCUS 2 guides students through a reliable career and education decision making model to help them select their majors, make informed career decisions and take action.

Nursing Careers & Specialties

Earning a nursing degree is just the start of your journey as a nurse. Upon graduating and becoming licensed, nurses are able to start down the path to their dream careers.


Allied Health offers a nationally recognized Critical Care Emergency Medical Transport Program.

The CCEMTP program is an intense, 105+ hour course featuring the following:

  • Physician led lectures and labs
  • State of the art training equipment
  • Dissection lab

Cowley has partnered with EagleMed to bring this one of a kind educational experience to you.

Program Goals

The Critical Care Emergency Medical Transport Program is designed to prepare paramedics and nurses to function as members of a critical care transport team. Critical patients requiring transport between facilities need a different level of care from hospital or emergency field patients.

Participants will gain an understanding of the special needs of critical patients during transport, become familiar with the purpose and mechanisms of hospital procedures and equipment, and develop the skills to maintain the stability of hospital equipment and procedures during transport.

Curriculum Design

The CCEMTP Program is designed to provide the basic educational foundation required for specialists transporting critical care patients. In addition, it may serve as a springboard for those institutions looking to expand into critical care.

The CCEMTP Resource Guide is a curriculum divided into broad modules. Each module has a specific instructional goal, a rationale (establishing a connection with the desired benefits of the program), a list of necessary equipment to demonstrate various critical care techniques, the required readings and the learning objectives.

Each lesson contains a focus statement (providing a specific direction about the topic and how it will contribute to the development of the participants), a list of learning objectives, demonstration equipment, additional readings, handouts, and a lesson outline.


The Critical Care Emergency Medical Transport Programs brings paramedics and nurses together in an effort to bridge the gap between pre-hospital and hospital care. The result is a specialized care provider that has an understanding of both aspects of patient care, and uses the understanding to provide the highest level of care to critical patients during transport.


Current paramedic, nursing, respiratory therapist, or physician license/certification.

  • Paramedic requirements: Minimum of one (1) year as a paramedic, current certifications in CPR, ACLS, ITLS/PHTLS, and PALS/PEPP/PPC.
  • Nurse requirements: Minimum of one (1) year as a nurse, current certifications in CPR, ACLS, PALS/PEPP/ENPC, and ITLS/PHTLS/TNCC/TNATC.
  • Respiratory Therapist requirements: Minimum of one (1) year as an RT, current certifications in CPR, ACLS, ITLS/PHTLS, and PALS/PEPP/PPC.

Recommended College Courses

Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, Biology, and Chemistry.

Continuing Education Hours

This continuing education activity is approved by UMBC, an organization accredited by the Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS), for 104 hours of continuing education credit.

Allied health students at Cowley College are occasionally required to complete a hospital or other field clinical component during their education and training. EVERY allied health and EMS student who completes hospital or field clinical training must complete a one-time background check.

MICT students will be charged $85 for a criminal background check and urinalysis. When the class starts, each will receive information about how to complete the background check. Failure to allow the check will result in dismissal because it is a mandatory requirement.

Failure to pass a criminal background check will prevent individual students, faculty, or staff from being able to enter or supervise clinical or field education and training. A current student who is found to have a significant criminal background screen will be required to withdraw from their current program. A faculty member or staff employee with a significant criminal background screen will not be allowed to enter a clinical or field facility and must withdraw from their present position at the college.

The Kansas Board of Emergency Medical Services does not have a list of felony offenses that denote barrier offenses to certification. Each applicant who is a convicted felon is reviewed on an individual basis, and the Board makes a judgment.

For this policy, the prohibited offenses of employment as a Kansas-certified nurse aide shall be utilized. The Via Christi and Wesley organizations prefer a criminal record check that extends seven years in the past. As such, all reckoning periods for prohibited offenses listed on the KDADS site as prohibited for five years shall be increased to seven (7) years.

How long has Cowley had a paramedic program?

We started the program in 1996; our first class of 13 graduated in December 1997.

How many students are in the typical paramedic class?

Class size is limited to only 20 students.

Is Cowley a large college?

We are one of the largest community colleges in Kansas and growing each year.

Are there job opportunities for your graduates?

There is a need for more paramedics in the region, state, and nation. Local EMS/FD employers preferentially hire our graduates.

Do your graduates pass the National Registry examinations?

The Cowley paramedic graduates have a better than 98% pass rate with that examination.

Is your program difficult?

Yes, it is. We have high expectations for the students and ourselves. It is even more difficult when students choose (or must) work full-time while completing the program.

How many credit hours is your program?

Students complete at least 18 hours of prerequisites, 54 hours of paramedic classes, and five non-credit certification classes (ACLS, AMLS, PALS/PEPP, PHTLS & NRP).

Do you have a selective admission policy?

Yes, we do.

If I have decided to apply to the Cowley program?

You should send your application as soon as you know that Cowley is the place for your paramedic education. We start the admission process in late summer and fall each year.

How long is your paramedic program?

We have both 12 and 14-month classes.

When do the programs start?

We start a new 12-month class each January and a new 14-month class every other June.

Do your faculty have EMS experience and are they qualified to teach?

All the faculty have EMS experience, and all are talented educators. We also carefully select our adjunct paramedic faculty.

When does the class meet?

During the didactic sessions of the 12-month paramedic program (spring semester), students should expect to meet three times a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM. Clinicals will occur during the summer, while the field internship shall be conducted during the fall. The last two weeks of the class will be spent in the classroom preparing for the National Registry examination.

Start dates for the 14-month programs are alternated every June. The first two semesters will be spent in the classroom where students meet two times a week (ex., Monday and Wednesday, 5-10 PM). During the fall semester, students will complete the clinical portion of the program. The field internship will be conducted in the fall semester and should end in January. The last two weeks of the class will be spent in the classroom preparing for the National Registry examination.

Where does the program meet?

The 12-month program is taught at the Winfield Allied Health Education Center, and the 14-month program is taught at Butler Community College on the Andover campus. The 14-month online/hybrid program is taught in partnership with Neosho County Community College and Flint Hills Technical College, with skills and simulation training done at the Winfield Campus.

Can I attend the program and still work?

Yes, you can though it may be tricky. If you must work full-time, consider the 14-month class schedule. Also, many EMS or FD organizations will help the students with their work schedules. Other students scale back their employment to part-time status.

What's the deal with the criminal record checks?

Hospitals with Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) accreditation require criminal background checks on all students, faculty, or staff who enter these facilities. This will be fully explained when the program starts. Essentially, it inhibits people convicted of crimes against persons from completing the paramedic program because they need help completing the class’s clinical portion.

What are the program prerequisites?

Prospective students must take at least 18 hours of prerequisites before entering the paramedic program. Students must have at least A&P and English composition; however, it is recommended that all prerequisites are completed before entering the program.

Must I have college credit hours for my EMT class?

No. Students are required to be an EMT (or just finishing the EMT class and later gain certification). Cowley simply requires the EMT certification; students do not have to have college credit hours for their previous EMT class.

Do you have a nationally accredited program?

Yes. The Commission accredits the Cowley College Paramedic Program on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs ( upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP). Their website explains the benefits of attending a nationally accredited program.

Do you offer paramedic-specific scholarships and financial aid?

Yes, we provide paramedic scholarships, and the college has an excellent financial aid staff who can help you with your needs. Many students have benefited from scholarships and financial aid assistance.

Will I be able to deal with all the blood?

Only you will be able to answer that one. Fortunately, only a small percentage of EMS calls involve the gore and horror found in television land. Also, students generally know if EMS work is their thing when taking the EMT class.

Can I take the EMT class and enter the paramedic program before being 18 years old?

Yes, you can (we have had one student do this), though you can only get the National Registry test results once you are 18. You must also complete the prerequisites before you enter the program.

How much does it cost to complete the Cowley paramedic program?

This will vary on where each student completes their prerequisite classes. Once the student enters the paramedic program, students can expect a reasonably priced education.

As I complete the prerequisites or once I enter the program, who will be my college advisor?

Chris Cannon, Department Chair, will act as your advisor before you enter the program -- just ask that he is your advisor. He will remain your advisor if you enter the 12-month paramedic program. If you enter the 14-month paramedic program, the Lead Paramedic Instructor will be your advisor. If you wish to change, simply contact us.

Is any portion of the program online?

The Cowley Blackboard learning management system is used extensively throughout the paramedic program to post presentations, homework assignments, and quizzes. We also have an iTunes University page for the program where you can download podcasts of lectures. During hospital clinicals and field internship you will utilize the FISDAP online documentation software. An external website is also used for NREMT exam preparation.

Can I enroll online for classes at Cowley?

Go to our Apply pages for information on how to enroll.

Where can I find information about when EMS and healthcare classes ,are offered?

You can find this information online for all EMS and healthcare classes (select semester & emergency medical services or health-related).

Because funding higher education in Kansas has become an issue, will your program continue, and do you have adequate equipment to support the curriculum?

Our college fully supports the program and plans to continue with that level of support. In 2005, we added another full-time paramedic instructor, established the Allied Health Education department, remodeled the Winfield Center, and added other full-time staff to assist us. Obviously, the EMS faculty attempt to be frugal whenever possible, and we firmly believe that instructional support for paramedic training shall not be diminished. If you have yet to visit the EMS division in Winfield, we suggest you view our facility, equipment, and supplies; a quick visit will help you understand our college support.

Do you accept paramedic or EMT-P transfer students?

No. Occasionally, we have EMS students who wish to transfer to our paramedic program because of issues in their current program at another school or because of other reasons. Unfortunately, we do not accept these students.

Do you offer the RN to Paramedic or Paramedic to RN bridge programs?

We have ascertained the need for the RN to Paramedic bridge class and found that only some wanted this class. As such, we have placed this program on hold. We have partnered with Pratt Community College to teach their RN program at the Winfield campus. Pratt offers a Paramedic to RN bridge program. If interested, please contact the Department Chair for more information.

Why do you have a paramedic program?

There are many reasons, but primarily because we wanted to provide this level of EMS education and training to meet the needs of the students and healthcare community. We continue teaching it because we know that our program is one of excellence and that we make a difference.

We will assist you with finding financial aid, scholarships, grants, and loans. We firmly believe that students should have the opportunity to find funds which will help them complete the program. In the past, our MICT students have had great success in acquiring funds to help defray the costs of this education.

Here are some methods that should help MICT applicants or students secure schooling funds:

College Financial Aid Department

Complete the online application for scholarships.

For information from the college about grants, loans, scholarships, or work-study opportunities, contact the college financial aid department. Their job is to assist all students in acquiring the maximum financial help and will answer all student questions.

It is important to know that federal financial aid is for one school year (fall through the next summer semester). As such, the MICT student must complete new forms during the spring to obtain federal aid for the fall.

MICT Scholarships from Health & Human Services Department

Colleges have many different divisions and departments. At Cowley, all EMS classes are in the EMS Division, which is a part of the Health & Human Services Department. Our department has a number of scholarships for students who take classes from this department. These scholarships pay only tuition. To be considered eligible, students/applicants must be full time students, be Kansas residents, and have a 3.25 GPA. Once awarded, students can continue to receive the scholarship if a 3.25 GPA is maintained (along with the previously mentioned requirements). Scholarships are only awarded for the spring and fall semesters. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details. Students who are selected to enter the MICT program will automatically receive the scholarship criteria and scholarship forms.

Max Cannon MICT Scholarship

This scholarship honors Max Cannon, grandfather of Cowley instructor Chris Cannon. It shall be used primarily for MICT students from the rural areas of Cowley County. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details.

Roy R. Danks, DO Scholarship

This scholarship was established by Dr. Danks who is the Associate Medical Advisor of EMS education at Cowley College. It shall be used primarily for MICT students who need financial assistance during their education and training. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details.

Slade Griffiths MICT Endowed Scholarship

This endowed scholarship was established by the MICT class of 2001 and alumni. This will provide some funds to MICT students who need additional assistance and was especially designed for those who had to quit their jobs to attend MICT education and training. Because it was established in 2002, funds will be initially limited to $250 per student. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details.

Dale Wasson MICT Scholarship

This scholarship honors Dale Wasson, former Winfield Area EMS Director, Kansas Board of EMS member, and Chair of the Cowley College MICT Program Advisory Committee. Dale was instrumental in starting and guiding the Cowley MICT Program. This scholarship shall be used primarily for MICT students from Cowley County. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details.

William Newton Hospital

This hospital offers two scholarships: the Healthcare Field Scholarship and the Jean Thornton Memorial Nursing Healthcare Scholarship. Applicants must be accepted as full-time students studying healthcare with 12 or more hours per semester and have at least a 3.0 GPA. Scholarship awards are $300 per semester for a maximum of four semesters. The deadline is April 1. For more information, contact the Director of Volunteers at the hospital.

WIA Program and Tuition Assistance

The Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas provides training and services to residents of Butler, Cowley, Harper, Kingman, Sedgwick and Sumner Counties. This is accomplished by a partnership of employment and training provider agencies working together to better serve businesses and individuals in South Central Kansas. Workforce investment programs are designed to help you get a job, finish your education, obtain a degree or skilled profession and upgrade your wage potential, regardless of barriers that you may have to overcome.

The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Program is a federally funded program that can assist customers to attend school in a demand occupational field in an educational program that can be completed in two years or less. It also has to be with a school on our provider list.

The WIA Program is split into the Adult and Dislocated Worker. The Dislocated Worker Program is designed for customers who are laid off from employment due to reduction of the workforce or plant closure or simply may be a Homemaker who has been dependent on the income of another family member but is no longer supported by income and is unemployed or underemployed. The Adult Worker Program is designed for customers who may or may not be employed. They might be an applicant who meets low-income guidelines, single wage earner not making a self-sufficient wage, past employment in a declining industry has physical limitations, needs basic skills to gain employment, shows a financial need for assistance with training, or needs to get recertified to upgrade skills to obtain employment.

Participants interested in receiving assistance from the WIA Program should contact Tammy Brown at least four weeks before starting classes. Upon approval, an applicant could be eligible to receive up to $8,000 in assistance. This assistance can cover tuition, books, uniforms, tools, etc. Supportive Services such as mileage reimbursement from home to school each day and daycare expenses may also be available.

Health Care (all medical-related positions) and Law Enforcement/Firefighters are occupations that currently are in demand per the South Central Kansas Workforce Alliance.

If you are interested in WIA assistance, please contact:

Wichita Workforce Center

150 N. Main, Suite 100

Wichita, KS 67202

Workforce Centers of South Central Kansas

Phone: (316) 771-6800

Fax: (316) 771-6890


Web Information on Scholarships

There is a vast amount of information on grants and scholarships on the web. Simply do a search, and you'll be surprised at how much money is available to students. If you need any assistance with your search, contact the program director.


Contact Us

Faculty Chair, Health & Human Services, EMS Director
Faculty - Paramedic Instructor Coordinator
Faculty, Paramedic Instructor Coordinator